Document Type : Original Article(s)
PhD in Sport Physiology, Department of Sport Physiology, Faculty of Physical Education and Sport Sciences, Bu-Ali Sina University, Hamedan, Iran
Professor, Department of Sport Physiology, Faculty of Physical Education and Sport Sciences, Bu-Ali Sina University, Hamedan, Iran
PhD in Cardiovascular Physiology, Shahid Rahimi Hospital, Lorestan University of Medical Sciences, Khoramabad, Iran
BACKGROUND: Myocardial ischemia leads to left ventricular (LV) dysfunction and cardiac arrhythmia. The present research was conducted with the aim to explore echocardiography changes and electrocardiogram parameters of the hearts of rats with ischemia-reperfusion injury (IRI).
METHODS: The study subjects included 50 male Wistar rats) 8-10 weeks), which were divided into 5 groups (1: trained, 2: supplemented, 3: combined (training and supplementation), 4: sham, and 5: control). High-intensity interval training (HIIT) was performed for 8 weeks, 5 sessions per week. Rats belonging to groups 2 and 3 received 10 mg/kg berberine. Finally, after 48 hours, electrocardiogram and echocardiography were performed on all rats. Moreover, myocardial ischemia was performed by descending coronary artery ligation for 30 minutes.
RESULTS: There were significant differences between the 5 groups in terms of the volumes and dimensions of LV end-systolic dimension (LVSD), LV end-diastolic dimension (LVDD), fractional shortening cardiac output, ejection fraction (EF), stroke volume (SV), ventricular tachycardia (VT), and ventricular ectopic beats (VEBs) episodes, duration of VTs, and ECG parameters (P ≤ 0.05).
CONCLUSION: Berberine supplementation and HIIT, as preconditioning agents, can possibly prevent the elevation of EF and fractional shortening, the reduction of cardiac output and SV, and arrhythmia improvement after myocardial IRI. Finally, these changes result in increased LV function and decreased mortality in rats with myocardial IRI.
- Zhang C, Tang Y, Li Y, Xie L, Zhuang W, Liu J, et al. Unfolded protein response plays a critical role in heart damage after myocardial ischemia/reperfusion in rats. PLoS One 2017; 12(6): e0179042.
- Garcia-Dorado D, Rodriguez-Sinovas A, Ruiz-Meana M, Inserte J. Protection against myocardial ischemia-reperfusion injury in clinical practice. Rev Esp Cardiol (Engl Ed) 2014; 67(5): 394-404.
- Ranjbar K, Nazem F, Nazari A, Gholami M, Nezami AR, Ardakanizade M, et al. Synergistic effects of nitric oxide and exercise on revascularisation in the infarcted ventricle in a murine model of myocardial infarction. EXCLI J 2015; 14: 1104-15.
- Cury AF, Bonilha A, Saraiva R, Campos O, Carvalho AC, De Paola AA, et al. Myocardial performance index in female rats with myocardial infarction: relationship with ventricular function parameters by Doppler echocardiography. J Am Soc Echocardiogr 2005; 18(5): 454-60.
- Darbandi AA, Tavakoli F, Moladoust H, Zare A, Sadeghpour A. Echocardiographic evaluation of cardiac function in ischemic rats: value of m-mode echocardiography. Res Cardiovasc Med 2014; 3(4): e22941.
- Salimeh A, Mohammadi M, Mohaddes G, Badalzadeh R. Protective Effect of Diosgenin and Exercise Training on Biochemical and ECG Alteration in Isoproterenol- Induced Myocardial Infarction in Rats. Iranian Journal of Basic Medical Sciences 2011; 14(3): 264-74.
- Yao J, Kong W, Jiang J. Learning from berberine: Treating chronic diseases through multiple targets. Sci China Life Sci 2015; 58(9): 854-9.
- Zhang YJ, Yang SH, Li MH, Iqbal J, Bourantas CV, Mi QY, et al. Berberine attenuates adverse left ventricular remodeling and cardiac dysfunction after acute myocardial infarction in rats: role of autophagy. Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol 2014; 41(12): 995-1002.
- Joukar S, Mahdavi N. Alterations of Blood Pressure and ECG following Two-Week Consumption of Berberis integerrima Fruit Extract. Int Sch Res Notices 2014; 2014: 209683.
- Stolen T, Shi M, Wohlwend M, Hoydal MA, Bathen TF, Ellingsen O, et al. Effect of exercise training on cardiac metabolism in rats with heart failure. Scand Cardiovasc J 2020; 54(2): 84-91.
- Jorge L, Rodrigues B, Rosa KT, Malfitano C, Loureiro TC, Medeiros A, et al. Cardiac and peripheral adjustments induced by early exercise training intervention were associated with autonomic improvement in infarcted rats: role in functional capacity and mortality. Eur Heart J 2011; 32(7): 904-12.
- Myers J, Wagner D, Schertler T, Beer M, Luchinger R, Klein M, et al. Effects of exercise training on left ventricular volumes and function in patients with nonischemic cardiomyopathy: application of magnetic resonance myocardial tagging. Am Heart J 2002; 144(4): 719-25.
- Boissiere J, Eder V, Machet MC, Courteix D, Bonnet P. Moderate exercise training does not worsen left ventricle remodeling and function in untreated severe hypertensive rats. J Appl Physiol (1985) 2008; 104(2): 321-7.
- Rahimi M, Shekarforoush S, Asgari AR, Khoshbaten A, Rajabi H, Bazgir B, et al. The effect of high intensity interval training on cardioprotection against ischemia-reperfusion injury in wistar rats. EXCLI J 2015; 14: 237-46.
- Wu G, Rana JS, Wykrzykowska J, Du Z, Ke Q, Kang P, et al. Exercise-induced expression of VEGF and salvation of myocardium in the early stage of myocardial infarction. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 2009; 296(2): H389-H395.
- Rahmati-Ahmadabad S, Azarbayjani M, Nasehi M. The effects of high-intensity interval training with supplementation of flaxseed oil on BDNF mRNA expression and pain feeling in male rats. Ann Appl Sport Sci 2017; 5(4): 1-12.
- Stypmann J, Engelen MA, Troatz C, Rothenburger M, Eckardt L, Tiemann K. Echocardiographic assessment of global left ventricular function in mice. Lab Anim 2009; 43(2): 127-37.
- Lindsey ML, Kassiri Z, Virag JAI, de Castro Bras LE, Scherrer-Crosbie M. Guidelines for measuring cardiac physiology in mice. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 2018; 314(4): H733-H752.
- Jin H, Yang R, Li W, Lu H, Ryan AM, Ogasawara AK, et al. Effects of exercise training on cardiac function, gene expression, and apoptosis in rats. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 2000; 279(6): H2994-H3002.
- Hentschke VS, Capalonga L, Rossato DD, Perini JL, Alves JP, Quagliotto E, et al. Functional capacity in a rat model of heart failure: impact of myocardial infarct size. Exp Physiol 2017; 102(11): 1448-58.
- Gimenes C, Gimenes R, Rosa CM, Xavier NP, Campos DH, Fernandes AA, et al. Low Intensity Physical Exercise Attenuates Cardiac Remodeling and Myocardial Oxidative Stress and Dysfunction in Diabetic Rats. J Diabetes Res 2015; 2015: 457848.
- Oliveira-Junior SA, Martinez PF, Fan WYC, Nakatani BT, Pagan LU, Padovani CR, et al. Association between echocardiographic structural parameters and body weight in Wistar rats. Oncotarget 2017; 8(16): 26100-5.
- Curtis MJ, Hancox JC, Farkas A, Wainwright CL, Stables CL, Saint DA, et al. The Lambeth Conventions (II): guidelines for the study of animal and human ventricular and supraventricular arrhythmias. Pharmacol Ther 2013; 139(2): 213-48.
- Lew KS, Pearson JT, Katare R, Schwenke DO. P4452High-intensity interval exercise attenuates cardiac dysfunction and improves cardiac perfusion through restoration of microRNA-126 in type-2 diabetic mice. European Heart Journal 2017; 38(suppl-1): ehx504.
- Pluim BM, Zwinderman AH, van der Laarse A, van der Wall EE. The athlete's heart. A meta-analysis of cardiac structure and function. Circulation 2000; 101(3): 336-44.
- Rottman JN, Ni G, Khoo M, Wang Z, Zhang W, Anderson ME, et al. Temporal changes in ventricular function assessed echocardiographically in conscious and anesthetized mice. J Am Soc Echocardiogr 2003; 16(11): 1150-7.
- De LA, Stefani L, Pedrizzetti G, Pedri S, Galanti G. The effect of exercise training on left ventricular function in young elite athletes. Cardiovasc Ultrasound 2011; 9: 27.
- Sedighi M, Nazari A, Faghihi M, Rafieian-Kopaei M, Karimi A, Moghimian M, et al. Protective effects of cinnamon bark extract against ischemia-reperfusion injury and arrhythmias in rat. Phytother Res 2018; 32(10): 1983-91.
- Zhao X, Zhang J, Tong N, Liao X, Wang E, Li Z, et al. Berberine attenuates doxorubicin-induced cardiotoxicity in mice. J Int Med Res 2011; 39(5): 1720-7.
- Zeng X, Zeng X. Relationship between the clinical effects of berberine on severe congestive heart failure and its concentration in plasma studied by HPLC. Biomed Chromatogr 1999; 13(7): 442-4.
- Zhang XQ, Tillotson DL, Moore RL, Zelis R, Cheung JY. Na+/Ca2+ exchange currents and SR Ca2+ contents in postinfarction myocytes. Am J Physiol 1996; 271(6 Pt 1): C1800-C1807.
- Zhang XQ, Ng YC, Musch TI, Moore RL, Zelis R, Cheung JY. Sprint training attenuates myocyte hypertrophy and improves Ca2+ homeostasis in postinfarction myocytes. J Appl Physiol (1985) 1998; 84(2): 544-52.
- Zhang LQ, Zhang XQ, Ng YC, Rothblum LI, Musch TI, Moore RL, et al. Sprint training normalizes Ca(2+) transients and SR function in postinfarction rat myocytes. J Appl Physiol (1985) 2000; 89(1): 38-46.
- Borges JP, Lessa MA. Mechanisms Involved in Exercise-Induced Cardioprotection: A Systematic Review. Arq Bras Cardiol 2015; 105(1): 71-81.