Document Type : Original Article(s)
- Leli Avesta 1
- Hossein Doustkami 1
- Bijan Zamani 1
- Afshin Nejati 1
- Sajad Mousavy 2
- Mohammad Reza Aslani 3
1 Department of Cardiology, School of Medicine, Ardabil University of Medical Sciences, Ardabil, Iran
2 School of Medicine, Ardabil University of Medical Sciences, Ardabil, Iran
3 Lung Diseases Research Center, School of Medicine, Ardabil University of Medical Sciences, Ardabil AND Applied Biomedical Research Center, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Mashhad, Iran
BACKGROUND: Elevated serum visfatin levels have been reported in some chronic inflammatory diseases such as cardiovascular diseases (CVDs) and rheumatoid arthritis. The purpose of the present study was to investigate the correlation between visfatin and interleukin-6 (IL-6) and anthropometric, angiographic, echocardiographic, and biochemical parameters in patients with acute myocardial infarction (AMI).
METHODS: In this case-control study, 90 patients who were candidates for angiography were divided into the following 3 groups: non-coronary artery disease group (non-CAD; n = 30) with a history of chest pain without angiographic changes, stable angina pectoris group (SAP; n = 30), and AMI group (n = 30). Anthropometric, angiographic, echocardiographic, and biochemical parameters were measured in all subjects.
RESULTS: The mean age of patients in the non-CAD, SAP, and AMI groups was 62.26 ± 13.24, 62.93 ± 8.35, and 52.83 ± 10.26 years (P < 0.001) respectively. The results showed that the median [interquartile range] of visfatin level was higher in the AMI group [7 (6.30-9.30), pg/ml] compared with the SAP [5.85 (5.20-6.60); P < 0.001] and non-CAD [5.20 (3.30-5.70); P < 0.001] groups. In addition, median [interquartile range] IL-6 levels were higher in the AMI group [17.5 (16-21), pg/ml] compared with the SAP [15.50 (14-18); P < 0.01] and non-CAD [14 (11-17); P < 0.001] groups. Furthermore, there was a positive association between plasma level of visfatin, and epicardial fat thickness (EFT) and the Gensini score in the SAP and AMI patients. The results of multivariate linear regression analysis revealed that white blood cell (WBC) count and IL-6 were independently associated with plasma visfatin level.
CONCLUSION: The current study showed an association between visfatin and EFT in AMI patients. Increased visfatin levels in patients with AMI may contribute to atherosclerosis; however, further studies should be conducted to confirm this finding.
- Hillis LD, Smith PK, Anderson JL, Bittl JA, Bridges CR, Byrne JG, et al. 2011 ACCF/AHA guideline for coronary artery bypass graft surgery: Executive summary: A report of the American College of Cardiology Foundation/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2012; 143(5): 1235.
- Moens AL, Claeys MJ, Timmermans JP, Vrints CJ. Myocardial ischemia/reperfusion-injury, a clinical view on a complex pathophysiological process. Int J Cardiol 2005; 100(2): 179-90.
- Yellon DM, Baxter GF. Protecting the ischaemic and reperfused myocardium in acute myocardial infarction: Distant dream or near reality? Heart 2000; 83(4): 381-7.
- Piper HM, Garcia-Dorado D, Ovize M. A fresh look at reperfusion injury. Cardiovasc Res 1998; 38(2): 291-300.
- Chandrasena LG, Peiris H, Waikar HD. Biochemical changes associated with reperfusion after off-pump and on-pump coronary artery bypass graft surgery. Ann Clin Lab Sci 2009; 39(4): 372-7.
- Dominguez-Rodriguez A, Abreu-Gonzalez P, Garcia-Gonzalez MJ, Kaski JC, Reiter RJ, Jimenez-Sosa A. A unicenter, randomized, double-blind, parallel-group, placebo-controlled study of Melatonin as an Adjunct in patients with acute myocaRdial Infarction undergoing primary Angioplasty the Melatonin Adjunct in the acute myocaRdial Infarction treated with Angioplasty (MARIA) trial: study design and rationale. Contemp Clin Trials 2007; 28(4): 532-9.
- Yin YQ, Luo AL, Guo XY, Li LH, Huang YG. Postoperative neuropsychological change and its underlying mechanism in patients undergoing coronary artery bypass grafting. Chin Med J (Engl) 2007; 120(22): 1951-7.
- Altun A, Ugur-Altun B. Melatonin: Therapeutic and clinical utilization. Int J Clin Pract 2007; 61(5): 835-45.
- Dominguez-Rodriguez A, Abreu-Gonzalez P, Garcia-Gonzalez M, Reiter RJ. Prognostic value of nocturnal melatonin levels as a novel marker in patients with ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction. Am J Cardiol 2006; 97(8): 1162-4.
- Dominguez-Rodriguez A, Abreu-Gonzalez P. Myocardial ischemia-reperfusion injury: Possible role of melatonin. World J Cardiol 2010; 2(8): 233-6.
- Petrosillo G, Di VN, Pistolese M, Casanova G, Tiravanti E, Colantuono G, et al. Protective effect of melatonin against mitochondrial dysfunction associated with cardiac ischemia- reperfusion: role of cardiolipin. FASEB J 2006; 20(2): 269-76.
- Dianatkhah M, Najafi A, Sharifzadeh M, Ahmadi A, Sharifnia H, Mojtahedzadeh M, et al. Melatonin supplementation may improve the outcome of patients with hemorrhagic stroke in the intensive care unit. J Res Pharm Pract 2017; 6(3): 173-7.
- Sokullu O, Sanioglu S, Kurc E, Sargin M, Deniz H, Tartan Z, et al. Does the circadian rhythm of melatonin affect ischemia-reperfusion injury after coronary artery bypass grafting? Heart Surg Forum 2009; 12(2): E95-E99.
- Zhang Y, Wang Y, Xu J, Tian F, Hu S, Chen Y, et al. Melatonin attenuates myocardial ischemia-reperfusion injury via improving mitochondrial fusion/mitophagy and activating the AMPK-OPA1 signaling pathways. J Pineal Res 2019; 66(2): e12542.
- Dianatkhah M, Ghaeli P, Hajhossein TA, Karimi A, Salehiomran A, Bina P, et al. Evaluating the potential effect of melatonin on the post-cardiac surgery sleep disorder. J Tehran Heart Cent 2015; 10(3): 122-8.
- Guo XY, Luo AL, Ren HZ, Yie TH, Huang YG. Perioperative melatonin secretion rhyme in patients undergoing coronary artery bypass grafting surgery. Zhongguo Yi Xue Ke Xue Yuan Xue Bao 2003; 25(5): 594-8. [In Chinese].
- Yoshitaka S, Egi M, Morimatsu H, Kanazawa T, Toda Y, Morita K. Perioperative plasma melatonin concentration in postoperative critically ill patients: Its association with delirium. J Crit Care 2013; 28(3): 236-42.
- Yin YQ, Luo AL, Guo XY, Li LH, Ren HZ, Ye TH, et al. Perioperative melatonin circadian secretion in patients undergoing coronary artery bypass grafting surgery. Zhonghua Yi Xue Za Zhi 2004; 84(6): 456-9. [In Chinese].
- Zhou H, Ma Q, Zhu P, Ren J, Reiter RJ, Chen Y. Protective role of melatonin in cardiac ischemia-
reperfusion injury: From pathogenesis to targeted therapy. J Pineal Res 2018; 64(3).
- Bourne RS, Mills GH. Melatonin: Possible implications for the postoperative and critically ill patient. Intensive Care Med 2006; 32(3): 371-9.
- Mistraletti G, Sabbatini G, Taverna M, Figini MA, Umbrello M, Magni P, et al. Pharmacokinetics of orally administered melatonin in critically ill patients. J Pineal Res 2010; 48(2): 142-7.
- Gogenur I, Kucukakin B, Panduro JL, Reiter RJ, Rosenberg J. Melatonin reduces cardiac morbidity and markers of myocardial ischemia after elective abdominal aortic aneurism repair: A randomized, placebo-controlled, clinical trial. J Pineal Res 2014; 57(1): 10-5.
- Haghjooy JS, Ziaei A, Ziaei S, Ziaei E, Mirmohammad-Sadeghi M. The effect of preoperative melatonin on nuclear erythroid 2-related factor 2 activation in patients undergoing coronary artery bypass grafting surgery. Oxid Med Cell Longev 2013; 2013: 676829.
- Reiter RJ, Tan DX. Melatonin: A novel protective agent against oxidative injury of the ischemic/reperfused heart. Cardiovasc Res 2003; 58(1): 10-9.
- Gitto E, Romeo C, Reiter RJ, Impellizzeri P, Pesce S, Basile M, et al. Melatonin reduces oxidative stress in surgical neonates. J Pediatr Surg 2004; 39(2): 184-9.
- Vural EM, van Munster BC, de Rooij SE. Optimal dosages for melatonin supplementation therapy in older adults: A systematic review of current literature. Drugs Aging 2014; 31(6): 441-51.