Document Type : Original Article(s)
1 Associate Professor, Department of Cardiology, Najafabad Branch, Islamic Azad University, Isfahan, Iran
2 Medical Practitioner, Najafabad Branch, Islamic Azad University, Isfahan, Iran
BACKGROUND: Hypertension (HTN) is the second leading risk factor for death and disability. One fourth of healthcare in Eastern Europe and Central Asia is being spent on blood pressure (BP)-related diseases. An important situation in patients with high BP is hypertensive crisis (BP > 180/120 mmHg), which is divided to hypertensive emergency and urgency. Therefore, here, we decided to compare the effect of captopril and clonidine in patients with hypertensive urgencies, and their side effects.
METHODS: This was a parallel-group randomized clinical trial. Patients, who referred to emergency ward with any symptoms of hypertensive crisis, underwent a careful history taking and clinical examination. Individuals with systolic BP (SBP) ≥ 180 mmHg or diastolic BP (DBP) ≥ 110 mmHg with no evidence of end organ damage were randomly assigned into two interventions, clonidine and captopril. 25% decrease in BP was considered as ideal relief.
RESULTS: Regarding the duration of response to treatment drugs, patients who received clonidine relieved significantly faster than those who received captopril (P = 0.016). Moreover, the frequencies of side effects such as headache, dizziness/vertigo, dry mouth, and drowsiness in the clonidine group were significantly lower than captopril group (P < 0.05).
CONCLUSION: Patients in clonidine group relieved sooner and experienced fewer side effects. Therefore, this study suggests clonidine as a more effective therapeutic for hypertensive urgency compared with captopril.
- World Health Organization. A global brief on hypertension: Silent killer, global public health crisis: World Health Day 2016. Geneva, Switzerlans: WHO; 2016.
- Asareh Ar, Sharify N, Fayazi S, Haghighizadeh MH. White-coat effect on blood pressure measurement among visiting patients to Shiraz University Internal Clinic. Jundishapur Sci Med J 2004; (40): 24-30. [In Persian].
- Joshi MD, Ayah R, Njau EK, Wanjiru R, Kayima JK, Njeru EK, et al. Prevalence of hypertension and associated cardiovascular risk factors in an urban slum in Nairobi, Kenya: A population-based survey. BMC Public Health 2014; 14: 1177.
- Zambrana RE, Lopez L, Dinwiddie GY, Ray RM, Phillips LS, Trevisan M, et al. Prevalence and incident prehypertension and hypertension in postmenopausal Hispanic women: results from the Women's Health Initiative. Am J Hypertens 2014; 27(3): 372-81.
- Unger A, Felzemburgh RD, Snyder RE, Ribeiro GS, Mohr S, Costa VB, et al. Hypertension in a Brazilian urban slum population. J Urban Health 2015; 92(3): 446-59.
- Kazerani H, Hajimoradi B, Amini A, Naseri MH, Moharamzad Y. Clinical efficacy of sublingual captopril in the treatment of hypertensive urgency. Singapore Med J 2009; 50(4): 400-2.
- Mojahedi MJ, Hami M, Shakeri MT, Hasani MH, Ahadi M. The prevalence and related risk factors of hypertension in young adults in Mashhad Hypertension in young adults. Med J Mashad Univ Med Sci 2015; 58(5): 252-7. [In Persian].
- Crispim PA, Peixoto MR, Jardim PC. Risk factors associated with high blood pressure in two-to five-year-old children. Arq Bras Cardiol 2014; 102(1): 39-46.
- Chobanian AV, Bakris GL, Black HR, Cushman WC, Green LA, Izzo JL, et al. Seventh report of the Joint National Committee on Prevention, Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Pressure. Hypertension 2003; 42(6): 1206-52.
- Campbell NR, Khalsa T, Lackland DT, Niebylski ML, Nilsson PM, Redburn KA, et al. High Blood Pressure 2016: Why Prevention and Control Are Urgent and Important. The World Hypertension League, International Society of Hypertension, World Stroke Organization, International Diabetes Foundation, International Council of Cardiovascular Prevention and Rehabilitation, International Society of Nephrology. J Clin Hypertens (Greenwich) 2016; 18(8): 714-7.
- Go AS, Bauman MA, Coleman King SM, Fonarow GC, Lawrence W, Williams KA, et al. An effective approach to high blood pressure control: A science advisory from the American Heart Association, the American College of Cardiology, and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. J Am Coll Cardiol 2014; 63(12): 1230-8.
- Mingji C, Onakpoya IJ, Perera R, Ward AM, Heneghan CJ. Relationship between altitude and the prevalence of hypertension in Tibet: A systematic review. Heart 2015; 101(13): 1054-60.
- Dai X, Wiernek S, Evans JP, Runge MS. Genetics of coronary artery disease and myocardial infarction. World J Cardiol 2016; 8(1): 1-23.
- Sarraf-Zadegan N, Sayed-Tabatabaei FA, Bashardoost N, Maleki A, Totonchi M, Habibi HR, et al. The prevalence of coronary artery disease in an urban population in Isfahan, Iran. Acta Cardiol 1999; 54(5): 257-63.
- Vaidya CK, Ouellette JR. Hypertensive urgency and emergency. Hospital Physician 2007; 3: 43-50.
- Houston MC. Treatment of hypertensive urgencies and emergencies with nifedipine. Am Heart J 1986; 111(5): 963-9.
- Calhoun DA, Oparil S. Treatment of hypertensive crisis. N Engl J Med 1990; 323(17): 1177-83.
- Vaughan CJ, Delanty N. Hypertensive emergencies. Lancet 2000; 356(9227): 411-7.
- Zampaglione B, Pascale C, Marchisio M, Cavallo-Perin P. Hypertensive urgencies and emergencies. Prevalence and clinical presentation. Hypertension 1996; 27(1): 144-7.
- Noronha-Neto C, Katz L, Coutinho IC, Maia SB, Souza AS, Amorim MM. Clonidine versus captopril for treatment of postpartum very high blood pressure: study protocol for a randomized controlled trial (CLONCAP). Reprod Health 2013; 10: 37.
- Maleki A, Sadeghi M, Zaman M, Tarrahi MJ, Nabatchi B. Nifedipine, Captopril or sublingual nitroglycerin, which can reduce blood pressure the most? ARYA Atheroscler 2011; 7(3): 102-5.
- Neil MJ. Clonidine: Clinical pharmacology and therapeutic use in pain management. Curr Clin Pharmacol 2011; 6(4): 280-7.
- Rapsomaniki E, Timmis A, George J, Pujades-Rodriguez M, Shah AD, Denaxas S, et al. Blood pressure and incidence of twelve cardiovascular diseases: lifetime risks, healthy life-years lost, and age-specific associations in 1.25 million people. Lancet 2014; 383(9932): 1899-911.
- Anchala R, Kannuri NK, Pant H, Khan H, Franco OH, Di Angelantonio E, et al. Hypertension in India: a systematic review and meta-analysis of prevalence, awareness, and control of hypertension. J Hypertens 2014; 32(6): 1170-7.
- Walker RW, McLarty DG, Kitange HM, Whiting D, Masuki G, Mtasiwa DM, et al. Stroke mortality in urban and rural Tanzania. Adult Morbidity and Mortality Project. Lancet 2000; 355(9216): 1684-7.
- Mardani M, Rafiee E, Ebrahimzadeh F, Baba H, Balavar S, Alimohamadi M. Prevalence of metabolic syndrome among students of Lorestan University of Medical Sciences during 2011-1012. Med J Mashad Univ Med Sci 2015; 57(8): 918-25. [In Persian].
Wu L, He Y, Jiang B, Sun D, Wang J, Liu M, et al. Trends in prevalence, awareness, treatment and control of hypertension during 2001-2010 in an urban elderly population of China. PLoS One 2015; 10(8): e0132814.