Document Type : Original Article(s)
- Abdolhossien Emami-Sigaroudi 1
- Arsalan Salari 2
- Azam Nourisaeed 3
- Zahra Ahmadnia 4
- Asieh Ashouri 5
- Seyede Shiva Modallalkar 4
- Arezoo Javadzadeh-Moghtader 4
- Shirin Parvinroo 6
- Heidar Dadkhah-Tirani 1
1 Associate Professor, Cardiovascular Diseases Research Center AND Department of Cardiology, Heshmat Hospital, School of Medicine, Guilan University of Medical Sciences, Rasht, Iran
2 Professor, Cardiovascular Diseases Research Center AND Department of Cardiology, Heshmat Hospital, School of Medicine, Guilan University of Medical Sciences, Rasht, Iran
3 PhD Candidate, Cardiovascular Diseases Research Center AND Department of Cardiology, Heshmat Hospital, School of Medicine, Guilan University of Medical Sciences, Rasht, Iran
4 Cardiovascular Diseases Research Center AND Department of Cardiology, Heshmat Hospital, School of Medicine, Guilan University of Medical Sciences, Rasht, Iran
5 Assistant Professor, Research Center of Health and Environment AND Department of Health Education and Promotion, School of Health, Guilan University of Medical Sciences, Rasht, Iran
6 Assistant Professor, Cardiovascular Diseases Research Center AND Department of Cardiology, Heshmat Hospital, School of Medicine, Guilan University of Medical Sciences, Rasht, Iran
BACKGROUND: Numerous studies have investigated the effect of lavender and damask rose aromatherapy on sleep quality. There is, however, little research to compare the impact of them over each other. The aim of current study was to compare the effect of aromatherapy with lavender and damask rose on sleep quality in patients after coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) surgery in Guilan Province, Iran, in 2017-2018.METHODS: In this randomized clinical trial (RCT) study, 97 patients undergoing CABG were randomly assigned to intervention or control groups. In the intervention groups, the patients were asked by the researcher to inhale the lavender or damask rose randomly every night for 5 consecutive nights at 22:00. The control group received routine nursing care in compliance with the hospital procedure. Data were obtained by demographic-clinical and Beck Depression Inventory (BDI) questionnaires. To analyze the data, chi-square test, t-test, Kruskal-Wallis test, and Wilcoxon test were used.RESULTS: During the 5-night intervention period, despite a relative improvement of sleep quality in intervention groups compared to the control group, none of the two aromatherapies had a statistically significant effect on any of delayed sleep (P = 0.514), sleep duration (P = 0.839), sleep efficiency (P = 0.067), sleep disturbances (P = 0.061), and daily functional disorders (P = 0.114) except for subjective sleep quality (P = 0.016) and use of sleep medications (P = 0.031).CONCLUSION: Using both aromatherapies with lavender and damask rose indicated positive effects on sleep quality of the CABG patients, but we could not find a superiority over each other.
- Lytle J, Mwatha C, Davis KK. Effect of lavender aromatherapy on vital signs and perceived quality of sleep in the intermediate care unit: A pilot study. Am J Crit Care 2014; 23(1): 24-9.
- Najafi Z, Tagharrobi Z, Shahriyari-Kale-Masihi M. Effect of aromatherapy with Lavender on sleep quality among patients undergoing hemodialysis. Feyz 2014; 18(2): 145-50. [In Persian].
- Neyse F, Daneshmandi M, Sadeghi Sherme M, Ebadi A. The effect of earplugs on sleep quality in patients with acute coronary syndrome. Iran J Crit Care Nurs 2011; 4(3): 127-34.
- Arasteh M, Yousefi F, Sharifi Z. Investigation of sleep quality and its influencing factors in patients admitted to the gynecology and general surgery of Besat Hospital in Sanandaj. Med J Mashad Univ Med Sci 2014; 57(6): 762-9. [In Persian].
- Jafarian Amiri SR, Zabihi A, Babaie Asl F, Sefidchian A, Bijanee A. Sleep quality and associated factors in hospitalized patients in Babol, Iran. Hormozgan Med J 2011; 15(2): 144-51. [In Persian].
- Nesarhoseini V, Khosravi M. Periodontitis as a risk factor in non-diabetic patients with coronary artery disease. ARYA Atheroscler 2010; 6(3): 106-11.
- Ghasemi S, Babatabar Darzi H, Ebadi A. Comparison of the effects of aromatherapy with rose and lavender on physiological parameters of patients undergoing open heart surgery: A clinical trial. Iran J Crit Care Nurs 2017; 10(2): e10029. [In Persian].
- Rezaee-Zavareh MS, Tohidi M, Sabouri A, Ramezani-Binabaj M, Sadeghi-Ghahrodi M, Einollahi B. Infectious and coronary artery disease. ARYA Atheroscler 2016; 12(1): 41-9.
- Bikmoradi A, Harorani M, Roshanaei G, Moradkhani S, Falahinia GH. The effect of inhalation aromatherapy with damask rose (Rosa damascena) essence on the pain intensity after dressing in patients with burns: A clinical randomized trial. Iran J Nurs Midwifery Res 2016; 21(3): 247-54.
- Setayeshvali Pour N, Kheirkhah M, Neisani L, Haghani H. Comparison of the effects of aromatherapy with essential oils of damask rose and hot footbath on the first stage of labor anxiety in Nulliparous women. Complement Med J Arak Univ Med Sci 2012; 2(2): 126-34. [In Persian].
- Ozkaraman A, Dugum O, Ozen YH, Usta Yesilbalkan O. Aromatherapy: The Effect of Lavender on Anxiety and Sleep Quality in Patients Treated with Chemotherapy. Clin J Oncol Nurs 2018; 22(2): 203-10.
- Ozlu ZK, Bilican P. Effects of aromatherapy massage on the sleep quality and physiological parameters of patients in a surgical intensive care unit. Afr J Tradit Complement Altern Med 2017; 14(3): 83-8.
- Zeighami R, Mohamadi hariry F, Jalilolghadr S, Alipour Haidari M. Investigating the Effect of "Citrus Aurantium" Aroma on Sleep Quality of Patients Hospitalized in the Coronary Care Unit (CCU). Complement Med J Arak Univ Med Sci 2014; 4(1): 720-33. [In Persian].
- Pourmovahed Z, Zare Zardini H, Vahidi A, Jafari Tadi E. The Effect of Inhalation Aromatherapy on Anxiety Level of the Patients Before Coronary Artery Bypass Graft Surgery (CABG). J Rafsanjan Univ Med Sci 2016; 15(6): 551-62. [In Persian].
- Elliott R, McKinley S, Cistulli P. The quality and duration of sleep in the intensive care setting: An integrative review. Int J Nurs Stud 2011; 48(3): 384-400.
- Fismer KL, Pilkington K. Lavender and sleep: A systematic review of the evidence. Eur J Integr Med 2012; 4(4): e436-e447.
- Patil NT, Nayak BS, Pai VB, George A, George LS. Complementary therapies for patients undergoing cardiac surgery: an evidence based literature review. Manipal Journal of Nursing and Health Sciences 2015; 1(2): 112-7.
- Moeini M, Khadibi M, Bekhradi R, Mahmoudian SA, Nazari F. Effect of aromatherapy on the quality of sleep in ischemic heart disease patients hospitalized in intensive care units of heart hospitals of the Isfahan University of Medical Sciences. Iran J Nurs Midwifery Res 2010; 15(4): 234-9.
- Chien LW, Cheng SL, Liu CF. The effect of lavender aromatherapy on autonomic nervous system in midlife women with insomnia. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 2012; 2012: 740813.
- Tazakori Z, Babaee S, Karimolahi M, Bayat F, Mohammad Taghizadeh Kashan L. The effect of damask rose extract on sleep quality in patients undergoing angiography admitted to cardiac care unit. J Cardiovasc Nur 2016; 5(1): 52-7.
- Atashi N, Bahari SM, Sanatkaran A. The effects of Red rose essential oil aromatherapy on athletes' sleep quality before the competition. J Nov Appl Sci 2015; 4(7): 814-9.
- Statistics Canada. Age categories, life cycle groupings [Online]. [cited 2007]; Available from: URL: https://www.statcan.gc.ca/eng/concepts/definitions/age2
- Buysse DJ, Reynolds C 3rd, Monk TH, Berman SR, Kupfer DJ. The Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index: a new instrument for psychiatric practice and research. Psychiatry Res 1989; 28(2): 193-213.
- Farrahi J, Nakhaee N, Sheibani V, Garrusi B, Amirkafi A. Psychometric properties of the Persian version of the Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index addendum for PTSD (PSQI-A). Sleep Breath 2009; 13(3): 259-62.
- Shariati A, Jahani S, Hooshmand M, Khalili N. The effect of acupressure on sleep quality in hemodialysis patients. Complement Ther Med 2012; 20(6): 417-23.
- Haghdoost AA, Baneshi MR, Marzban M. How to estimate the sample size in special conditions? Iran J Epidemiol 2011; 7(2): 67-74.
- Cho MY, Min ES, Hur MH, Lee MS. Effects of aromatherapy on the anxiety, vital signs, and sleep quality of percutaneous coronary intervention patients in intensive care units. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 2013; 2013: 381381.
- Hajibagheri A, Babaii A, Adib-Hajbaghery M. Effect of Rosa damascene aromatherapy on sleep quality in cardiac patients: A randomized controlled trial. Complement Ther Clin Pract 2014; 20(3): 159-63.
- Ayik C, Ozden D. The effects of preoperative aromatherapy massage on anxiety and sleep quality of colorectal surgery patients: A randomized controlled study. Complement Ther Med 2018; 36: 93-9.
- Faydali S, Cetinkaya F. The effect of aromatherapy on sleep quality of elderly people residing in a nursing home. Holist Nurs Pract 2018; 32(1): 8-16.
- Karadag E, Samancioglu S, Ozden D, Bakir E. Effects of aromatherapy on sleep quality and anxiety of patients. Nurs Crit Care 2017; 22(2): 105-12.