Document Type : Original Article(s)
1 Assistant Professor, Amity Institute of Biotechnology, Amity University, Noida, Uttar Pradesh, India
2 Professor, Department of Internal Medicine, Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh, India
3 Professor, Department of Experimental Medicine and Biotechnology, Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh, India
BACKGROUND: The progression of atherosclerosis is an ongoing struggle between cell division and cell death. Lectin-like oxidized low-density lipoprotein receptor-1 (LOX-1), a novel receptor for oxidized low-density lipoprotein (ox-LDL), mediates ox-LDL-induced apoptosis of monocytes. The anti-atherogenic function of plasma high-density lipoprotein (HDL) includes the ability to inhibit apoptosis of macrophage, although the exact mechanism and consequences of apoptosis in the development and progression of this disease are still controversial. Thus, in the present study, the effect of normal HDL (nHDL) and reconstituted HDL (rHDL) on ox-LDL-induced cellular responses in differentiated monocytes in view of apoptosis and LOX-1 receptor expression was investigated.METHODS: The expression of B-cell lymphoma-2 (Bcl-2), B-cell lymphoma-extra large (Bcl-xL), caspase-3, and cytochrome c (cyt c) was assessed and substantiated in 30 hyper-LDL and control subjects. To assess the expression of LOX-1 on differentiated THP-1 cells, western blotting was carried out, followed by statistical analysis in 30 patients and control subjects.RESULTS: nHDL/rHDL inhibited the ox-LDL-induced apoptosis in the differentiated human monocytic cells, THP-1 cells, and differentiated monocytes of patient and control subjects. Enhanced expression of scavenger receptor, LOX-1, in the differentiated monocytes was also downregulated in presence of nHDL/rHDL. nHDL/rHDL could inhibit the ox-LDL-induced mitochondrial apoptotic pathway and aberrant expression of LOX-1 in patients. Double immunostaining using fluorescein isothiocyanate (FITC)-conjugated ox-LDL and LOX-1 in apoptotic cells indicates its significant role in the differentiated monocytes.CONCLUSION: It was observed that nHDL/rHDL could promote macrophage survival by preserving mitochondrial integrity from ox-LDL-induced apoptosis.
- Ibanez B, Giannarelli C, Cimmino G, Santos-Gallego CG, Alique M, Pinero A, et al. Recombinant HDL(Milano) exerts greater anti-inflammatory and plaque stabilizing properties than HDL(wild-type). Atherosclerosis 2012; 220(1): 72-7.
- Boyle JJ. Macrophage activation in atherosclerosis: Pathogenesis and pharmacology of plaque rupture. Curr Vasc Pharmacol 2005; 3(1): 63-8.
- Tiwari RL, Singh V, Barthwal MK. Macrophages: An elusive yet emerging therapeutic target of atherosclerosis. Med Res Rev 2008; 28(4): 483-544.
- Greig FH, Kennedy S, Spickett CM. Physiological effects of oxidized phospholipids and their cellular signaling mechanisms in inflammation. Free Radic Biol Med 2012; 52(2): 266-80.
- Petraki MP, Mantani PT, Tselepis AD. Recent advances on the antiatherogenic effects of HDL-derived proteins and mimetic peptides. Curr Pharm Des 2009; 15(27): 3146-66.
- Schlenke P, Kluter H, Muller-Steinhardt M, Hammers HJ, Borchert K, Bein G. Evaluation of a novel mononuclear cell isolation procedure for serological HLA typing. Clin Diagn Lab Immunol 1998; 5(6): 808-13.
- Phillips HJ. Dye exclusion test for cell viability. In: Kruse PF, Patterson MK, Editors. Tissue culture: Methods and applications. Cambridge, MA: Academic Press; 1973. p. 406-8.
- Via DP, Pons L, Dennison DK, Fanslow AE, Bernini F. Induction of acetyl-LDL receptor activity by phorbol ester in human monocyte cell line THP-1. J Lipid Res 1989; 30(10): 1515-24.
- Chung BH, Segrest JP, Ray MJ, Brunzell JD, Hokanson JE, Krauss RM, et al. Single vertical spin density gradient ultracentrifugation. Methods Enzymol 1986; 128: 181-209.
- Jonas A, Wald JH, Toohill KL, Krul ES, Kezdy KE. Apolipoprotein A-I structure and lipid properties in homogeneous, reconstituted spherical and discoidal high density lipoproteins. J Biol Chem 1990; 265(36): 22123-9.
- Brewer HB Jr, Ronan R, Meng M, Bishop C. Isolation and characterization of apolipoproteins A-I, A-II, and A-IV. Methods Enzymol 1986; 128: 223-46.
- Smith PK, Krohn RI, Hermanson GT, Mallia AK, Gartner FH, Provenzano MD, et al. Measurement of protein using bicinchoninic acid. Anal Biochem 1985; 150(1): 76-85.
- Laemmli UK. Cleavage of structural proteins during the assembly of the head of bacteriophage T4. Nature 1970; 227(5259): 680-5.
- Engvall E, Perlmann P. Enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay, Elisa. 3. Quantitation of specific antibodies by enzyme-labeled anti-immunoglobulin in antigen-coated tubes.
- J Immunol 1972; 109(1): 129-35.
- Esterbauer H, Striegl G, Puhl H, Rotheneder M. Continuous monitoring of in vitro oxidation of human low density lipoprotein. Free Radic Res Commun 1989; 6(1): 67-75.
- Ohkawa H, Ohishi N, Yagi K. Assay for lipid peroxides in animal tissues by thiobarbituric acid reaction. Anal Biochem 1979; 95(2): 351-8.
- Towbin H, Staehelin T, Gordon J. Electrophoretic transfer of proteins from polyacrylamide gels to nitrocellulose sheets: Procedure and some applications. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 1979; 76(9): 4350-4.
- Hensel U, Wellensiek HJ, Bhakdi S. Sodium dodecyl sulfate-polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis immunoblotting as a serological tool in the diagnosis of syphilitic infections. J Clin Microbiol 1985; 21(1): 82-7.
- Ghosh S. Macrophage cholesterol homeostasis and metabolic diseases: Critical role of cholesteryl ester mobilization. Expert Rev Cardiovasc Ther 2011; 9(3): 329-40.
- Camont L, Chapman MJ, Kontush A. Biological activities of HDL subpopulations and their relevance to cardiovascular disease. Trends Mol Med 2011; 17(10): 594-603.
- Nofer JR, Levkau B, Wolinska I, Junker R, Fobker M, von Eckardstein A., et al. Suppression of endothelial cell apoptosis by high density lipoproteins (HDL) and HDL-associated lysosphingolipids. J Biol Chem 2001; 276(37): 34480-5.
- Rosa BL, Vicenta LC, Victor GC, Dolores LC, Fernando C, Ricardo GH, et al. Alterations of specific biomarkers of metabolic pathways in vascular tree from patients with Type 2 diabetes. Cardiovasc Diabetol 2012; 11: 86.
- Kockx MM, De Meyer GR, Buyssens N, Knaapen MW, Bult H, Herman AG. Cell composition, replication, and apoptosis in atherosclerotic plaques after 6 months of cholesterol withdrawal. Circ Res 1998; 83(4): 378-87.
- Mehta JL, Li DY, Chen HJ, Joseph J, Romeo F. Inhibition of LOX-1 by statins may relate to upregulation of eNOS. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 2001; 289(4): 857-61.