Document Type : Case Report
- Anahita Tavoosi 1
- Mehrdad Salehi 2
- Akram Sardari 1
- Samira Shirazi 3
- Faeze Salahshour 4
- Pejman Mansouri 5
1 Assistant Professor, Department of Cardiology, Imam Khomeini Hospital Complex, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
2 Professor, Department of Cardiac Surgery, Imam Khomeini Hospital Complex, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
3 Resident, Department of Cardiology, Imam Khomeini Hospital Complex, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
4 Assistant Professor, Department of Radiology, Imam Khomeini Hospital Complex, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
5 Resident, Tehran Heart Center, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran Iran
BACKGROUND: A textiloma is a rare retained surgical swab with probable serious post-operation complications.CASE REPORT: Here, we reported an asymptomatic patient who had past history of coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG) fourteen months ago and referred to our institute for left atrial mass removal. Echocardiography and chest computed tomography (CT) scan revealed a non-homogenous non-mobile mass and a heterogeneous lesion with low-density as well as high-density areas with spot calcification and gas bubbles at left atrium level, respectively.CONCLUSION: Despite being rare after CABG, textiloma should be considered in the differential diagnosis in case of any suspicious chest mass even in asymptomatic patients.
- Cheng TC, Chou AS, Jeng CM, Chang PY, Lee CC. Computed tomography findings of gossypiboma. J Chin Med Assoc 2007; 70(12): 565-9.
- Poncelet AJ, Watremez C, Tack D, Noirhomme P. Paracardiac opacity following inferior-and middle-lobe resection for bronchogenic carcinoma: Unsuspected diagnosis. Chest 2005; 128(1): 439-41.
- Biswas RS, Ganguly S, Saha ML, Saha S, Mukherjee S, Ayaz A. Gossypiboma and surgeon- current medicolegal aspect-a review. Indian J Surg 2012; 74(4): 318-22.
- Karabulut N, Herek D, Kiroglu Y. CT features of intrathoracic gossypiboma (textiloma). Diagn Interv Radiol 2011; 17(2): 122-4.
- Boutayeb A, Marmade L, Laaroussi M, Bensouda A, Moughil S. Textiloma mimicking a pericardial hydatid cyst: A case report. Heart Lung Circ 2012; 21(5): 278-80.
- Copeland AW. Retained surgical sponge (gossypiboma) and other retained surgical items: Prevention and management [Online]. [cited 2019]; Available from: URL:
- Nobre LF, Marchiori E, May F, Carrao AD Jr, Zanetti G, Machado DM. Thoracic textilomas after myocardial revascularisation: Typical CT findings. Br J Radiol 2010; 83(985): 4-7.
- Scott WW, Beall DP, Wheeler PS. The retained intrapericardial sponge: Value of the lateral chest radiograph. AJR Am J Roentgenol 1998; 171(3): 595-7.
- Berkowitz S, Marshall H, Charles A. Retained intra-abdominal surgical instruments: Time to use nascent technology? Am Surg 2007; 73(11): 1083-5.