Document Type : Original Article(s)
1 Assistant Professor, Nursing Care Research Center, Health Research Institute, Babol University of Medical Sciences, Babol, Iran
2 PhD Candidate, School of Nursing and Midwifery, Golestan University of Medical Sciences, Gorgan, Iran
3 Lecturer, Nursing Care Research Center, Health Research Institute, Babol University of Medical Sciences, Babol, Iran
4 Associate Professor, Nursing Care Research Center, Health Research Institute, Babol University of Medical Sciences, Babol, Iran
BACKGROUND: Marital satisfaction is an important variable in maintaining or promoting elderly health. Therefore, identifying the effective factors can increase life expectancy and quality of life. This study aimed to determine the relationship between aging perception and demographic and clinical characteristics with marital satisfaction in the elderly patients with coronary artery disease (CAD).METHODS: This was a descriptive-correlational study. The sample size was 480 elderly patients with CAD who were referred to the heart clinics of hospitals in the west of Mazandaran Province, Iran, who were recruited by convenience sampling. Data were collected by a demographic checklist, ENRICH Marital Satisfaction Inventory, and Aging Perceptions Questionnaire (APQ). The data were analyzed by structural equation model (SEM) using Goodness of Fit Index (GFI and chi-square test. P-value less than 0.050 was considered as significant level.RESULTS: The mean and standard deviation (SD) of marital satisfaction was 145.16 ± 12.12, and the mean and SD of aging perception was 113.39 ± 12.74. The results of the Pearson’s correlation coefficient indicated that the highest correlation was between aging perception and marital satisfaction (r = 0.68, P < 0.001). The model fit indices of the hypothesized model met the criteria, with the GFI = 0.91, Comparative Fit Index (CFI) = 0.93, Normed Fit Index (NFI) = 0.94, and non-Normed Fit Index (NNFI) = 0.91.CONCLUSION: Considering the psychological risk factors affecting marital satisfaction such as aging perception and suitable measurement can lead to marital health and improve treatment outcomes by increasing elderly motivation in self-care. Therefore, the elderly patients with CAD need more serious and long-term educational, counseling, and supportive interventions.
- World Health Organization. Ageing and life course [Online]. [cited 2020]; Available from: URL: https://www.who.int/ageing/en
- Iran SCI. Mean and Median Age of Iranian Population. Based on the results of the 2016 census [Online]. [cited 2016]; Available from: URL:
- Chiaranai C, Chularee S, Srithongluang S. Older people living with chronic illness. Geriatr Nurs 2018; 39(5): 513-20.
- Mann DL, Zipes DP, Libby P, Bonow RO. Braunwald's heart disease e-book: A textbook of cardiovascular medicine. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier Health Sciences; 2014.
- Aghamohamadi S, Hajinabi K, Jahangiri K, Asl IM, Dehnavieh R. Population and mortality profile in the Islamic Republic of Iran, 2006-2035. East Mediterr Health J 2018; 24(5): 469-76.
- Bjorvatn A. Hospital readmission among elderly patients. Eur J Health Econ 2013; 14(5): 809-20.
- Li QP, Mak YW, Loke AY. Spouses' experience of caregiving for cancer patients: A literature review. Int Nurs Rev 2013; 60(2): 178-87.
- Mroz S, Betkowska-Korpala B, Gierowski K, Kolpa M, Janusz B. Marital relations of patients with myocardial infarction from the spouses' perspective. Archives of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy 2017; 19(4): 42-50.
- Sarhadi M, Navidian A, Fasihi Harandy T, Ansari Moghadam A. Comparing quality of marital relationship of spouses of patients with and without a history of myocardial infarction. J Health Promot Manag 2013; 2(1): 39-48.
- Shen S. Chronic disease burden, sexual frequency, and sexual dysfunction in partnered older adults. J Sex Marital Ther 2019; 45(8): 706-20.
- Chehreh H, Ozgoli G, Abolmaali K, Nasiri M. The relationship between personality traits and marital satisfaction based on five factors model of personality: A systematic review. Sci J Kurdistan Univ Med Sci 2017; 22(5): 121-32. [In Persian].
- Min J, Yorgason JB, Fast J, Chudyk A. The impact of spouse's illness on depressive symptoms: The roles of spousal caregiving and marital satisfaction. J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci 2019.
- Roberts LR, Schuh H, Sherzai D, Belliard JC, Montgomery SB. Exploring experiences and perceptions of aging and cognitive decline across diverse racial and ethnic groups. Gerontol Geriatr Med 2015; 1.
- Parish A, Kim J, Lewallen KM, Miller S, Myers J, Panepinto R, et al. Knowledge and perceptions about aging and frailty: An integrative review of the literature. Geriatr Nurs 2019; 40(1): 13-24.
- Turner LJ. Applying a self-regulation framework to an ageing context: The role of psychosocial mechanisms in relationships between self-perceptions of ageing and mental health [PhD Thesis]; Wollongong, Australia: University of Wollongong; 2018.
- Warmoth K, Tarrant M, Abraham C, Lang IA. Relationship between perceptions of ageing and frailty in English older adults. Psychol Health Med 2018; 23(4): 465-74.
- Anahita TB, Sadat IA, Fini IA, Gilasi H, Mirbagher Ajorpaz N. The marital satisfaction and its relative factors among older adults. Nurse Care Open Acces J 2016; 1(4): 63-7.
- Otero MC, Wells JL, Chen KH, Brown CL, Connelly DE, Levenson RW, et al. Behavioral indices of positivity resonance associated with long-term marital satisfaction. Emotion 2019.
- Bakhtiyari F, Foroughan M, Fakhrzadeh H, Nazari N, Najafi B, Alizadeh M, et al. Validation of the persian version of abbreviated mental test (AMT) in elderly residents of Kahrizak charity foundation. Iran J Diabetes Lipid Disord 2014; 13(6): 487-94. [In Persian].
- Hancock GR, Stapleton LM, Mueller RO. The reviewer's guide to quantitative methods in the social sciences. London, UK: Routledge; 2018.
- Fowers BJ, Olson DH. Enrich marital inventory: A discriminant validity and cross-validation assessment. J Marital Fam Ther 1989; 15(1): 65-79.
- Arab Alidousti A, Nakhaee N, Khanjani N. Reliability and validity of the Persian versions of the enrich marital satisfaction (brief version) and kansas marital satisfaction scales. Health Develop J 2015; 4(2): 158. [In Persian].
- Pandya SP. Marital satisfaction of highly qualified professionally achieving women post-retirement: The urban Indian scenario. Journal of Family Studies 2019; 25(1): 61-78.
- Barker M, O'Hanlon A, McGee HM, Hickey A, Conroy RM. Cross-sectional validation of the Aging Perceptions Questionnaire: A multidimensional instrument for assessing self-perceptions of aging. BMC Geriatr 2007; 7: 9.
- Yaghoobzadeh A, Sharif Nia H, Hosseinigolafshani Z, Mohammadi F, Oveisi S, Torkmandi H. Associated factors of ageing perception among elderly in Qazvin, 2015. Journal of Gerontology 2017; 1(4): 1-10. [In Persian].
- Fabrigar LR, Wegener DT, MacCallum RC, Strahan EJ. Evaluating the use of exploratory factor analysis in psychological research. Psychol Methods 1999; 4(3): 272-99.
- Schermelleh-Engel K, Moosbrugger H, Müller H. Evaluating the fit of structural equation models: Tests of significance and descriptive goodness-of-fit measures. Methods of Psychological Research 2003; 8(2): 23-74.
- Steverink N, Westerhof GJ, Bode C, Dittmann-Kohli F. The personal experience of aging, individual resources, and subjective well-being. J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci 2001; 56(6): 364-73.
- Fleg JL, Limacher M, Rich MW. Cardiovascular disease and aging. Med Roundtable Cardiovasc Ed 2011; 2(2): 99-106.
- De Juan Pardo MA, Russo MT, Roque Sanchez MV. A hermeneutic phenomenological explorations of living in old age. Geriatr Nurs 2018; 39(1): 9-17.
- Jin H, Kim Y, Rhie SJ. Factors affecting medication adherence in elderly people. Patient Prefer Adherence 2016; 10: 2117-25.
- Tobiano G, Marshall A, Bucknall T, Chaboyer W. Patient participation in nursing care on medical wards: An integrative review. Int J Nurs Stud 2015; 52(6): 1107-20.
- Kraskian-Mujembari A, Haghi-Asgarabadi F, Jomehri F. Determination of the psychometric properties of the aging perception questionnaire.
- J Res Behav Sci 2017; 15(2): 142-50.
- Robertson DA, Kenny RA. "I'm too old for that" The association between negative perceptions of aging and disengagement in later life. Pers Individ Dif 2016; 100: 114-9.
- Robertson DA, Savva GM, King-Kallimanis BL, Kenny RA. Negative perceptions of aging and decline in walking speed: A self-fulfilling prophecy. PLoS One 2015; 10(4): e0123260.
- Robertson DA, King-Kallimanis BL, Kenny RA. Negative perceptions of aging predict longitudinal decline in cognitive function. Psychol Aging 2016; 31(1): 71-81.
- South SC, Boudreaux MJ, Oltmanns TF. The impact of personality disorders on longitudinal change in relationship satisfaction in long-term married couples. J Pers Disord 2019; 7-26.
- Holt E, Joyce C, Dornelles A, Morisky D, Webber LS, Muntner P, et al. Sex differences in barriers to antihypertensive medication adherence: Findings from the cohort study of medication adherence among older adults. J Am Geriatr Soc 2013; 61(4): 558-64.
- Mertler CA, Reinhart RV. Advanced and multivariate statistical methods: Practical application and interpretation. Abingdon, UK: Taylor & Francis; 2016.
- Gum AM, Ayalon L. Self-perceptions of aging mediate the longitudinal relationship of hopelessness and depressive symptoms. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 2018; 33(4): 591-7.
- Agronin M. Sexual dysfunction in older adults [Online]. [cited 2017]; Available from: URL: https://www.uptodate.com/contents/sexual-dysfunction-in-older-adults
- Hart PD, Buck DJ. The effect of resistance training on health-related quality of life in older adults: Systematic review and meta-analysis. Health Promot Perspect 2019; 9(1): 1-12.
- Liu C, Bai X. Handbook of theories of aging (3rd ed). China Journal of Social Work 2019; 12(1): 92-4.
- Sinkovic M, Towler L. Sexual Aging: A Systematic review of qualitative research on the sexuality and sexual health of older adults. Qual Health Res 2019; 29(9): 1239-54.
- Merghati-Khoei E, Pirak A, Yazdkhasti M, Rezasoltani P. Sexuality and elderly with chronic diseases: A review of the existing literature. J Res Med Sci 2016; 21: 136.
- Parker K, Bull-Engelstad I, Aasebo W, von der Lippe N, Reier-Nilsen M, Os I, et al. Medication regimen complexity and medication adherence in elderly patients with chronic kidney disease. Hemodial Int 2019; 23(3): 333-42.
- Yap AF, Thirumoorthy T, Kwan YH. Systematic review of the barriers affecting medication adherence in older adults. Geriatr Gerontol Int 2016; 16(10): 1093-101.
- Koch G, Wakefield BJ, Wakefield DS. Barriers and facilitators to managing multiple chronic conditions: A systematic literature review. West
- J Nurs Res 2015; 37(4): 498-516.