Document Type : Original Article(s)
MSc Student, Faculty of Nursing and Midwifery, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Isfahan, Iran
Assistant Professor, Nursing and Midwifery Care Research Center, Faculty of Nursing and Midwifery, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Isfahan, Iran
Associate Professor, Chamran Medical and Research Heart Center AND Department of Cardiac Surgery, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Isfahan, Iran
BACKGROUND: Coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) surgery is the most effective treatment for cardiovascular disease (CVD). Adherence to treatment after CABG surgery is very important. One of the educational models used in this regard is the BASNEF (Belief, Attitudes, Subjective Norms, and Enabling Factors) model. The present study aimed to assess the effect of an educational intervention based on BASNEF model on adherence to treatment in patients after CABG surgery.METHODS: The present study was a randomized clinical trial. In this study, 72 patients who had undergone CABG surgery participated in the two intervention and control groups. Patients in the intervention group took part in 4 40-minute educational sessions based on BASNEF model after discharge. The patients in both groups completed the Modanloo Adherence to Treatment Questionnaire (MATQ) and a researcher-made BASNEF model questionnaire before the intervention, after the educational intervention, and at the 3-month follow-up. Data were analyzed using independent t-test, chi-square test, Man-Whitney test, and repeated measures analysis of variance (ANOVA). Mauchly’s sphericity test was used for testing sphericity and the Greenhouse-Geisser correction was used in the case of lack of sphericity. All P-values of less than 0.05 were considered significant.RESULTS: The total score of the MATQ and its subscales had significantly improved in the intervention group after the intervention compared with the control group (P < 0.050). In addition, the mean scores of the model constructs (knowledge, attitude, behavior intention, subjective norms, and enabling factors) had significantly improved after the intervention in the intervention group in comparison with the control group (P < 0.050).CONCLUSION: The educational intervention based on BASNEF model improved adherence to treatment in patients after CABG surgery. Moreover, the model constructs improved in the intervention group in comparison with the control group after the intervention.
- Suaya JA, Stason WB, Ades PA, Normand SL, Shepard DS. Cardiac rehabilitation and survival in older coronary patients. J Am Coll Cardiol 2009; 54(1): 25-33.
- Hosseinian A, Kasayi V, Mohammadzade A, Habibzadeh S, Saghi F, Davari M, et al. Evaluation of early complications of coronary artery bypass grafting surgery (CABGS) in the first month after operation in imam Khomeini hospital of Ardabil during 2013-2014. J Ardabil Univ Med Sci 2014; 14(1): 18-27. [In Persian].
- Liu H, Xu Z, Gu H, Li W, Chen W, Sun C, et al. Common variant in glycoprotein ia increases long-term adverse events risk after coronary artery bypass graft surgery. J Am Heart Assoc 2016; 5(12).
- Shafiee Z, Babaee S, Nazari A, Atashi V. The effect of massage therapy on sleep quality of patients after coronary artery bypass graft operation. Iranian Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing 2013; 2(2): 22-9. [In Persian].
- Rouhi Balasi L, Paryad E, Kazemnezhad L, Bouraki S, Sadeghi Meybodi AM, Nasiri Sheikhani N. Study status of care adherence and its related factors in patients undergoing coronary artery bypass surgery. Holist Nurs Midwifery 2015; 25(3): 34-45. [In Persian].
- Iakovleva MV. Adherence to treatment after coronary bypass surgery: Psychological aspects. Revista Iberoamericana de Psicologia y Salud 2016; 7(1): 9-14.
- Salari A, Hasandokht T, Mahdavi-Roshan M, Kheirkhah J, Gholipour M, Pouradollah TM. Risk factor control, adherence to medication and follow up visit, five years after coronary artery bypass graft surgery. J Cardiovasc Thorac Res 2016; 8(4): 152-7.
- Zolnierek KB, Dimatteo MR. Physician communication and patient adherence to treatment: A meta-analysis. Med Care 2009; 47(8): 826-34.
- Levesque A, Li HZ, Pahal JS. Factors related to patients' adherence to medication and lifestyle change recommendations: Data from Canada. Int J Psychol Stud 2012; 4(2): 42.
- Sanaie N, Nejati S, Zolfaghari M, Alhani F, Kazemnezhad A. The effects of family-based empowerment on family cooperation in following patient treatment regime after coroner arteries bypass surgery. Modern Care 2014; 11(1): 19-27. [In Persian].
- Safaie Sarnaghi M, Hemmati Maslak Pak M, Khademvatan K, Alinejhad V. The effect of short message service on adherence to treatment advice in the patients with hypertension. J Urmia Nurs Midwifery Fac 2016; 14(3): 224-32. [In Persian].
- Mohamaei F, Nouri Tajer M, Nouhi F, Maleki M. Application of basnef health belief model in preventing the occurrence of risk factors contributing to myocardial infarction in patients with coronary artery disease. Iranian Heart Journal 2004; 5(1-2): 29-32. [In Persian].
- Veronovici NR, Lasiuk GC, Rempel GR, Norris CM. Discharge education to promote self-management following cardiovascular surgery: An integrative review. Eur J Cardiovasc Nurs 2014; 13(1): 22-31.
- Taghadosi MH, Madadzadeh N, Shadzi SH, Hasanzadeh A. Effects of education interventions on the coke workers' immune performances on BAZNEF model basis at Isfahan melting factory, 2005. J Ilam Univ Med Sci 2008; 16(3): 20-9. [In Persian].
- Izadirad H, Masoudi GR, Zareban I, Shahraki Poor M, Jadgal K. The effect of educational program based on BASNEF model on women's blood pressure with hypertension. Journal of Torbat Heydariyeh University of Medical Sciences 2013; 1(2): 22-31. [In Persian].
- Baghianimoghadam MH, Rahaee Z, Morowatisharifabad MA, Sharifirad G, Andishmand A, Azadbakht L. Effects of education on self-monitoring of blood pressure based on BASNEF model in hypertensive patients. J Res Med Sci 2010; 15(2): 70-7.
- Khani Jeihooni A, Kashfi SM, Hazavehei SM. Effects of the BASNEF Model-Based Educational Programs on Blood Sugar Control, (Type 2 Diabetes). J Educ Health Promot 2013; 1(1): 33-49. [In Persian].
- Ho PM, Bryson CL, Rumsfeld JS. Medication adherence: Its importance in cardiovascular outcomes. Circulation 2009; 119(23): 3028-35.
- Nilsson UG, Ivarsson B, Alm-Roijer C, Svedberg P. The desire for involvement in healthcare, anxiety and coping in patients and their partners after a myocardial infarction. Eur J Cardiovasc Nurs 2013; 12(5): 461-7.
- Lehane E, McCarthy G. Intentional and unintentional medication non-adherence: A comprehensive framework for clinical research and practice? A discussion paper. Int J Nurs Stud 2007; 44(8): 1468-77.
- Seyed Fatemi N, Rafii F, Hajizadeh E, Modanloo M. Psychometric properties of the adherence questionnaire in patients with chronic disease: A mix method study. Koomesh 2018; 20(2): 179-91. [In Persian].
- Meng K, Seekatz B, Haug G, Mosler G, Schwaab B, Worringen U, et al. Evaluation of a standardized patient education program for inpatient cardiac rehabilitation: Impact on illness knowledge and self-management behaviors up to 1 year. Health Educ Res 2014; 29(2): 235-46.
- Tol A, Farhandi H, Mohebbi B, Sadeghi R. BASNEF Model intervention on blood pressure modification among hypertensive diabetic patients. J Educ Health Promot 2017; 6: 47.
- Ghisi GL, Grace SL, Thomas S, Vieira AM, Costa IZ, Oh P. Knowledge and exercise behavior maintenance in cardiac rehabilitation patients receiving educational interventions. Heart Lung 2015; 44(6): 474-80.
- Sarayloo K, Moghadam ZB, Mansoure JM, Mostafa H, Mohsen S. The impact of an educational program based on BASNEF model on the selection of a contraceptive method in women. Iran J Nurs Midwifery Res 2015; 20(2): 171-8.
- Poshtchaman Z, Jadid Milani M, Atashzadeh Shoorideh F, Akbarzadeh Bagheban A. Assessing patient adherence to treatment after coronary artery bypass graft. J Sabzevar Univ Med Sci 2015; 22(4): 668-75. [In Persian].
- Wu JR, Moser DK, Chung ML, Lennie TA. Predictors of medication adherence using a multidimensional adherence model in patients with heart failure. J Card Fail 2008; 14(7): 603-14.
- Aggarwal B, Liao M, Allegrante JP, Mosca L. Low social support level is associated with non-adherence to diet at 1 year in the Family Intervention Trial for Heart Health (FIT Heart). J Nutr Educ Behav 2010; 42(6): 380-8.
- Gance-Cleveland B. Motivational interviewing as a strategy to increase families' adherence to treatment regimens. J Spec Pediatr Nurs 2005; 10(3): 151-5.
- Lin HH, Tsai YF, Lin PJ, Tsay PK. Effects of a therapeutic lifestyle-change programme on cardiac risk factors after coronary artery bypass graft. J Clin Nurs 2010; 19(1-2): 60-8.
- French DP, Cooper A, Weinman J. Illness perceptions predict attendance at cardiac rehabilitation following acute myocardial infarction: A systematic review with meta-analysis. J Psychosom Res 2006; 61(6): 757-67.
- World Health Organization. Adherence to long-term therapies: Evidence for action. Geneva, Switzerland: WHO; 2003.
- Chien WT, Chiu YL, Lam LW, Ip WY. Effects of a needs-based education programme for family carers with a relative in an intensive care unit: A quasi-experimental study. Int J Nurs Stud 2006; 43(1): 39-50.