Document Type : Original Article(s)
- Asghar Ebadifar 1
- Monir Barabaran-Eftekhari 2
- Katayoun Falahat 2
- Masoumeh Eltemasi 2
- Zahra Sobhani 2
- Elham Ghalenoei 2
- Elham Habibi 2
- Nizal Sarrafzadegan 3
- Shahin Akhondzadehi 4
- Reza Malekzadeh 5
1 Deputy for Research and Technology, Ministry of Health and Medical Education AND Dentofacial Deformities Research Center, Research Institute of Dental Sciences AND Department of Orthodontics, School of Dental, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences Tehran, Iran
2 Deputy for Research and Technology, Ministry of Health and Medical Education, Tehran, Iran
3 Isfahan Cardiovascular Research Center, Cardiovascular Research Institute, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Isfahan, Iran
4 Deputy for Research and Technology, Ministry of Health and Medical Education AND Psychiatric Research Center, Roozbeh Hospital, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
5 Deputy for Research and Technology, Ministry of Health and Medical Education AND Digestive Disease Research Center, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
BACKGROUND: According to the World Health Organization (WHO), non-communicable diseases (NCDs) including cardiovascular diseases (CVDs) will be responsible for almost 70% of all deaths in 2020. Therefore, knowledge production to find suitable ways to prevent, diagnosis, and effectively cover this disease in research centers is mandatory. Therefore, the present study is carried out with the aim to examine the results of studies performed in three years in Iranian cardiovascular centers.METHODS: Iranian cardiovascular research centers with more than three years of activity from 2015 to 2017 were evaluated. Research output, international collaboration, high quality publication, total citation, and average h-index (H) were evaluated and scored.RESULTS: 23 cardiovascular diseases research centers (CVDRCs) related to 15 universities of Medical Sciences (UMSs) were evaluated. The mean and standard deviation (SD) of age of the research activities in CVDRCs was 11.47 ± 8.60 years. Based on the research ranking, the first three centers were Isfahan Cardiovascular Research Center, Iran, Tehran Heart Center, and Shaheed Rajaei Cardiovascular Medical and Research Center, Iran, respectively, all of which have independent budget line. However, there is not any CVD research center in some provinces such as Zanjan, Kurdistan, Lorestan, and Arak, Iran.CONCLUSION: Mission oriented research activities in Iranian cardiovascular research centers may be effective in reducing the burden of CVDs. Moreover, establishment of CVD research centers in high risk areas may be useful.
- Benziger CP, Roth GA, Moran AE. The global burden of disease study and the preventable burden of NCD. Glob Heart 2016; 11(4): 393-7.
- World Health Organization. Global status report on noncommunicable diseases 2014. Geneva, Switzerland: WHO; 2014.
- Nilsson M, Griggs D, Visbeck M. Policy: Map the interactions between Sustainable Development Goals. Nature 2016; 534(7607): 320-2.
- Lozano R, Naghavi M, Foreman K, Lim S, Shibuya K, Aboyans V, et al. Global and regional mortality from 235 causes of death for 20 age groups in 1990 and 2010: A systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2010. Lancet 2012; 380(9859): 2095-128.
- Talaei M, Sarrafzadegan N, Sadeghi M, Oveisgharan S, Marshall T, Thomas GN, et al. Incidence of cardiovascular diseases in an Iranian population: The Isfahan Cohort Study. Arch Iran Med 2013; 16(3): 138-44.
- Saadat S, Yousefifard M, Asady H, Moghadas JA, Fayaz M, Hosseini M. The most important causes of death in Iranian population; A retrospective cohort study. Emerg (Tehran) 2015; 3(1): 16-21.
- Sarrafzadegan N, Kelishadi R, Esmaillzadeh A, Mohammadifard N, Rabiei K, Roohafza H, et al. Do lifestyle interventions work in developing countries? Findings from the Isfahan Healthy Heart Program in the Islamic Republic of Iran. Bull World Health Organ 2009; 87(1): 39-50.
- Forouzanfar MH, Sepanlou SG, Shahraz S, Dicker D, Naghavi P, Pourmalek F, et al. Evaluating causes of death and morbidity in Iran, global burden of diseases, injuries, and risk factors study 2010. Arch Iran Med 2014; 17(5): 304-20.
- Deputy of Research and Technology. Results of ranking the research activities in medical sciences research centers 2018 [Online]. [cited 2018]; Available from: URL: http://hbi.ir/Forms/Special.aspx?hbsId=1348&category=1&templateid=1&hdlId=4
- Rabani S, Sardarinia M, Akbarpour S, Azizi F, Khalili D, Hadaegh F. 12-year trends in cardiovascular risk factors (2002-2005 through 2011-2014) in patients with cardiovascular diseases: Tehran lipid and glucose study. PLoS One 2018; 13(5): e0195543.
- Abbasi M, Neishaboury M, Koohpayehzadeh J, Etemad K, Meysamie A, Asgari F, et al. National prevalence of self-reported coronary heart disease and chronic stable angina pectoris: Factor analysis of the underlying cardiometabolic risk factors in the SuRFNCD-2011. Glob Heart 2018; 13(2): 73-82.
- Farzadfar F, Murray CJ, Gakidou E, Bossert T, Namdaritabar H, Alikhani S, et al. Effectiveness of diabetes and hypertension management by rural primary health-care workers (Behvarz workers) in Iran: A nationally representative observational study. Lancet 2012; 379(9810): 47-54.
- Peters DH, Peters MA, Wickramasinghe K, Osewe PL, Davidson PM. Asking the right question: implementation research to accelerate national
- non-communicable disease responses. BMJ 2019; 365: l1868.
- Nouri F, Feizi A, Mohammadifard N, Sarrafzadegan N. Methods of sampling and sample size determination of a comprehensive integrated community-based interventional trial: Isfahan Healthy Heart Program. ARYA Atheroscler 2018; 14(2): 58-70.
- Ahmadi S. Estimation of effective coverage of diabetes and hypertension treatment at the national and subnational levels and evaluating its social determinants among Iranian adult population during 2005-2011 [PhD Thesis]. Tehran, Iran: University of Social Welfare and Rehabilitation Sciences; 2018. [In Persian].
- Adedapo AD. Rising trend of cardiovascular diseases among South-Western Nigerian female patients. Nigerian Journal of Cardiology 2017; 14(2): 71-4.
- Sarraf-Zadegan N, Sadri G, Malek Afzali H, Baghaei M, Mohammadi Fard N, Shahrokhi S, et al. Isfahan Healthy Heart Programme: A comprehensive integrated community-based programme for cardiovascular disease prevention and control. Design, methods and initial experience. Acta Cardiol 2003; 58(4): 309-20.
- Kermani M, Dowlati M, Jonidi Jafari A, Rezaei Kalantari R. Number of total mortality, cardiovascular mortality and Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease due to exposure with Nitrogen dioxide in Tehran during 2005-2014. Stud Med Sci 2017; 28(4): 22-32. [In Persian].
- Hadaegh F, Harati H, Ghanbarian A, Azizi F. Prevalence of coronary heart disease among Tehran adults: Tehran Lipid and Glucose Study. East Mediterr Health J 2009; 15(1): 157-66.