Document Type : Case Series
1 Associate Professor, Pediatric Cardiovascular Research Center, Cardiovascular Research Institute, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Isfahan, Iran
2 Professor, Pediatric Cardiovascular Research Center, Cardiovascular Research Institute, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Isfahan, Iran
3 Student of Medicine, Pediatric Cardiovascular Research Center, Cardiovascular Research Institute, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Isfahan, Iran
BACKGROUND: One of the congenital heart defects which can cause severe cardiac symptoms and cardiac failure in early childhood and neonatal duration is coarctation of aorta. Balloon angioplasty or surgical approach could be done for management of these defects. This study aimed to evaluate the efficacy and safety of coarctation stenting to improve the condition of these patients.METHODS: Five patients with severe coarctation of aorta participated in this study. Balloon angioplasty performed for these patients initially. Each of five patients had a gradient decline after the initial balloon angioplasty, and againing gradients increased during the follow-up; then, they were treated by implanting a stent. We used Cook Formula stents for these patients.RESULTS: The pressure gradient decreased in all 5 patients with maximum and minimum reduction of 55 and 35 mmHg; and we had not severe complication during or after the procedure and during the follow-up period.CONCLUSION: Performing a stent in selected small children and infants that have sever and symptomatic coarctation of aorta can be effective and safe in improving patients' clinical state, and preventing surgery.
- Mortazaeian H, Moghadam MY, Ghaderian M, Davary PN, Meraji M, Mohammadi AS. Evaluation of exercise-induced hypertension post endovascular stenting of coarctation of aorta. J Tehran Heart Cent 2010; 5(3): 137-40.
- Kvitting JP, Olin CL. Clarence Crafoord: A giant in cardiothoracic surgery, the first to repair aortic coarctation. Ann Thorac Surg 2009; 87(1): 342-6.
- McElhinney DB, Yang SG, Hogarty AN, Rychik J, Gleason MM, Zachary CH, et al. Recurrent arch obstruction after repair of isolated coarctation of the aorta in neonates and young infants: Is low weight a risk factor? J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2001; 122(5): 883-90.
- Ghaderian M, Gheysari M. Medium term follow up treatment of severe native coarctation of aorta using of balloon angioplasty in young infants less than one year's age. J Cardiol & Cardiovasc Ther 2016; 2(1): 555580.
- Fawzy ME, Fathala A, Osman A, Badr A, Mostafa MA, Mohamed G, et al. Twenty-two years of follow-up results of balloon angioplasty for discreet native coarctation of the aorta in adolescents and adults. Am Heart J 2008; 156(5): 910-7.
- Reich O, Tax P, Bartakova H, Tomek V, Gilik J, Lisy J, et al. Long-term (up to 20 years) results of percutaneous balloon angioplasty of recurrent aortic coarctation without use of stents. Eur Heart J 2008; 29(16): 2042-8.
- Hellenbrand WE, Allen HD, Golinko RJ, Hagler DJ, Lutin W, Kan J. Balloon angioplasty for aortic recoarctation: Results of Valvuloplasty and Angioplasty of Congenital Anomalies Registry. Am J Cardiol 1990; 65(11): 793-7.
- Wheatley GH 3rd, Koullias GJ, Rodriguez-Lopez JA, Ramaiah VG, Diethrich EB. Is endovascular repair the new gold standard for primary adult coarctation? Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2010; 38(3): 305-10.
- Haji Zeinali AM, Sadeghian M, Qureshi SA, Ghazi P. Midterm to long-term safety and efficacy of self-expandable nitinol stent implantation for coarctation of aorta in adults. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv 2017; 90(3): 425-31.
- Rao PS. Stents in the management of congenital heart disease in pediatric and adult patients. Indian Heart J 2001; 53(6): 714-30.
- Grohmann J, Sigler M, Siepe M, Stiller B. A new breakable stent for recoarctation in early infancy: Preliminary Clinical Experience. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv 2016; 87(4): E143-E150.
- Hassan W, Awad M, Fawzy ME, Omrani AA, Malik S, Akhras N, et al. Long-term effects of balloon angioplasty on left ventricular hypertrophy in adolescent and adult patients with native coarctation of the aorta. Up to 18 years follow-up results. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv 2007; 70(6): 881-6.
- He L, Liu F, Wu L, Qi CH, Zhang LF, Huang GY. Percutaneous balloon angioplasty for severe native aortic coarctation in young infants less than 6 months: Medium- to long-term follow-up. Chin Med J (Engl) 2015; 128(8): 1021-5.
- Liang CD, Su WJ, Chung HT, Hwang MS, Huang CF, Lin YJ, et al. Balloon angioplasty for native coarctation of the aorta in neonates and infants with congestive heart failure. Pediatr Neonatol 2009; 50(4): 152-7.
- Kang SL, Tometzki A, Taliotis D, Martin R. Stent Therapy for Aortic Coarctation in Children <30 kg: Use of the Low Profile Valeo Stent. Pediatr Cardiol 2017; 38(7): 1441-9.
- Al-Ata J, Arfi AM, Hussain A, Kouatly A, Galal MO. Stent angioplasty: An effective alternative in selected infants with critical native aortic coarctation. Pediatr Cardiol 2007; 28(3): 183-92.
- Francis E, Gayathri S, Vaidyanathan B, Kannan BR, Kumar RK. Emergency balloon dilation or stenting of critical coarctation of aorta in newborns and infants: An effective interim palliation. Ann Pediatr Cardiol 2009; 2(2): 111-5.
- Sreeram I, Sreeram N, Bennink G. Palliative stent implantation for coarctation in neonates and young infants. Ann Pediatr Cardiol 2012; 5(2): 145-50.
- Arfi AM, Galal MO, Kouatli A, Baho H, Abozeid H, Al AJ. Stent angioplasty for critical native aortic coarctation in three infants: Up to 15-year follow-up without surgical intervention and review of the literature. Pediatr Cardiol 2018; 39(8): 1501-13.
- Stegeman R, Breur JMPJ, Heuser J, Jansen NJG, de Vries WB, Vijlbrief DC, et al. Primary coronary stent implantation is a feasible bridging therapy to surgery in very low birth weight infants with critical aortic coarctation. Int J Cardiol 2018; 261: 62-5.
- Gendera K, Ewert P, Tanase D, Georgiev S, Genz T, Bambul HP, et al. Balloon-expandable stents for recoarctation of the aorta in small children. Two centre experience. Int J Cardiol 2018; 263: 34-9.
- Mohan UR, Danon S, Levi D, Connolly D, Moore
- JW. Stent implantation for coarctation of the aorta in children <30 kg. JACC Cardiovasc Interv 2009; 2(9): 877-83.
- Cheng HT, Lin MC, Jan SL, Fu YC. Endovascular stent for coarctation of the aorta in a child and review of the literature. Pediatr Neonatol 2011; 52(4): 237-9.