Document Type : Short Communication
1 Resident, Cardiac Rehabilitation Research Center, Cardiovascular Research Institute, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Isfahan, Iran
2 Assistant Professor, Hypertension Research Center, Cardiovascular Research Institute, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Isfahan, Iran
3 Assistant Professor, Heart Failure Research Center, Cardiovascular Research Institute, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Isfahan, Iran
4 Resident, Isfahan Cardiovascular Research Center, Cardiovascular Research Institute, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Isfahan, Iran
BACKGROUND: Atrial fibrillation (AF) is the most common tachyarrhythmia and an important risk factor for thromboembolic stroke. CHA2DS2-VASc score was introduced for assessment of embolic events and as criteria for starting anticoagulants. This study was performed to evaluate the left ventricular diastolic dysfunction (LVDD) in patients with non-hemorrhagic stroke and AF. METHODS: This cross-sectional study consisted of 76 consecutive patients with suspected non-hemorrhagic stroke referred to the Cardiology Department of Alzahra and Ayatollah Kashani hospitals in Isfahan, Iran, during 2015-2016. Demographic, anthropometric and clinical characteristics were evaluated for all patients at baseline. CHA2DS2-VASc score was calculated for all. All eligible patients underwent transthoracic echocardiogram (TTE) and LVDD was measured in the patients. RESULTS: The mean age of the patients was 64.64 ± 5.95 years and 28 subjects (36.8%) were women. The most common underlying disease in the patients was hypertension (HTN) (65.8%). Median (range) CHA2DS2-VASc score was 4 (1-7). Four patients (5.3%) had paroxysmal AF and 16 cases (21.1%) had LVDD. Analysis showed that LVDD in patients with non-hemorrhagic stroke and coexisting AF was not associated with CHA2DS2-VASc score (r = 0.151, P = 0.192). CONCLUSION: LVDD is not associated with CHA2DS2-VASc score in patients with non-hemorrhagic stroke and coexisting AF.
- Go AS, Hylek EM, Phillips KA, Chang Y, Henault LE, Selby JV, et al. Prevalence of diagnosed atrial fibrillation in adults: National implications for rhythm management and stroke prevention: the AnTicoagulation and Risk Factors in Atrial Fibrillation (ATRIA) Study. JAMA 2001; 285(18): 2370-5.
- Chambers PW. Lone atrial fibrillation: Pathologic or not? Med Hypotheses 2007; 68(2): 281-7.
- Aronow WS. Management of the older person with atrial fibrillation. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 2002; 57(6): M352-M363.
- Elezi S, Qerkini G, Bujupi L, Shabani D, Bajraktari G. Management and comorbidities of atrial fibrillation in patients admitted in cardiology service in Kosovo-a single-center study. Anadolu Kardiyol Derg 2010; 10(1): 36-40.
- Agarwal S, Bennett D, Smith DJ. Predictors of warfarin use in atrial fibrillation patients in the inpatient setting. Am J Cardiovasc Drugs 2010; 10(1): 37-48.
- Altmann DR, Kuhne M, Sticherling C, Osswald S, Schaer BA. Use of the CHADS2 risk score to guide antithrombotic treatment in patients with atrial fibrillation-room for improvement. Swiss Med Wkly 2010; 140(5-6): 73-7.
- O'Brien PJ, Thiemann DR, McNamara RL, Roberts JW, Raska K, Oppenheimer SM, et al. Usefulness of transesophageal echocardiography in predicting mortality and morbidity in stroke patients without clinically known cardiac sources of embolus. Am J Cardiol 1998; 81(9): 1144-51.
- Zabalgoitia M, Halperin JL, Pearce LA, Blackshear JL, Asinger RW, Hart RG. Transesophageal echocardiographic correlates of clinical risk of thromboembolism in nonvalvular atrial fibrillation. Stroke Prevention in Atrial Fibrillation III Investigators. J Am Coll Cardiol 1998; 31(7): 1622-6.
- Demircelik MB, Cetin M, Cicekcioglu H, Ucar O, Duran M. Effect of left ventricular diastolic dysfunction on left atrial appendage function and thrombotic potential in nonvalvular atrial fibrillation. Anadolu Kardiyol Derg 2014; 14(3): 256-60.
- Sarrafzadegan N, Sadeghi M, Gharipour M, Talaiei M, Shafie D, Aghababaie E. Left ventricular diastolic function in subjects with metabolic syndrome: Isfahan Cohort Study. Iran Heart J 2013; 13(4): 63-71.
- Aalami Harandi S, Sarrafzadegan N, Sadeghi M, Talaei M, Dianatkhah M, Oveisgharan S, et al. Do cardiometabolic risk factors relative risks differ for the occurrence of ischemic heart disease and stroke? Res Cardiovasc Med 2016; 5(1): e30619.
- World Medical Association Declaration of Helsinki: Ethical principles for medical research involving human subjects. JAMA 2013; 310(20): 2191-4.
- Nagueh SF, Smiseth OA, Appleton CP, Byrd BF 3rd, Dokainish H, Edvardsen T, et al. Recommendations for the evaluation of left ventricular diastolic function by echocardiography: An update from the American society of echocardiography and the European association of cardiovascular imaging. J Am Soc Echocardiogr 2016; 29(4): 277-314.
- Hopps S, Marcy TR. Warfarin versus aspirin: Using CHADS2 to guide therapy for stroke prevention in nonvalvular atrial fibrillation. Consult Pharm 2009; 24(11): 841-4.
- Medi C, Hankey GJ, Freedman SB. Atrial fibrillation. Med J Aust 2007; 186(4): 197-202.
- Schaer BA, Zellweger MJ, Cron TA, Kaiser CA, Osswald S. Value of routine holter monitoring for the detection of paroxysmal atrial fibrillation in patients with cerebral ischemic events. Stroke 2004; 35(3): e68-e70.
- Todo K, Moriwaki H, Saito K, Naritomi H. Frequent premature atrial contractions in stroke of undetermined etiology. Eur Neurol 2009; 61(5): 285-8.
- Kosiuk J, Breithardt O, Bode K, Kornej J, Arya A, Gaspar T, et al. Left ventricular diastolic dysfunction and thromboembolic risk in atrial fibrillation: Diastolic dysfunction and thromboembolic risk in AF. Int J Cardiol 2013; 168(1): 547-8.