Document Type : Case Report
1 Department of Operating Room, School of Paramedical Sciences, Bushehr University of Medical Sciences, Bushehr, Iran
2 Assistant Professor, Department of Cardiac Surgery, School of Medicine, Shahrekord University of Medical Sciences, Shahrekord, Iran
3 Nurse, Chamran Hospital, Ministry of Defence, Tehran, Iran
BACKGROUND: The finding of a floating mass in the aortic arch is rare and the management remains controversial. CASE Rrport: We describe a 42-year-old woman with an embolic infarction in whom transesophageal echocardiography revealed a mobile mass in the aortic arch that was characterized as atherothrombi with an evidence of embolic infarction in the territory of the middle cerebral artery. Treatment with antiplatelet and anticoagulants failed to resolve the mass and is was surgically resected. CONCLUSION: In conclusion, the presence of mobile aortic mass seems to carry a high embolic risk. The optimal treatment for mobile aortic arch atherothrombi remains to be elucidated.
- Rallidis LS, Papadopoulos C, Michail PC, Paraskevaidis I, Anastasiou-Nana M. Mobile masses in the aortic arch in a patient with acute embolic event. Hellenic J Cardiol 2011; 52(3): 259-61.
- Fosteris M, Skoura A, Mountaki V, Chlorogiannis I, Trikas A. Floating mass in the aortic arch: An interesting case report. J Cardiol Cases 2014; 9(2): 45-7.
- Evangelista A, Rodrķguez-Palomares AJ, Mahia P, Gonzįlez-Alujas T. Echocardiography in acute aortic syndrome. Curr Cardiovasc Imaging Rep 2008; 1(1): 58-65.
- Weber A, Jones EF, Zavala JA, Ponnuthurai FA, Donnan GA. Intraobserver and interobserver variability of transesophageal echocardiography in aortic arch atheroma measurement. J Am Soc Echocardiogr 2008; 21(2): 129-33.
- Hussein A, Hilal D, Hamoui O, Hussein H, Abouzahr L, Kabbani S, et al. Value of aortic arch analysis during routine transthoracic echocardiography in adults. Eur J Echocardiogr 2009; 10(5): 625-9.
- Vizzardi E, Gelsomino S, D'Aloia A, Lorusso R. Aortic atheromas and stroke: Review of literature. J Investig Med 2013; 61(6): 956-66.
- Zavala JA, Amarrenco P, Davis SM, Jones EF, Young D, Macleod MR, et al. Aortic arch atheroma. Int J Stroke 2006; 1(2): 74-80.
- Macleod MR, Amarenco P, Davis SM, Donnan GA. Atheroma of the aortic arch: an important and poorly recognised factor in the aetiology of stroke. Lancet Neurol 2004; 3(7): 408-14.